Saturday, October 10, 2009

Musings from the weekend . . . .

Can it really only be Saturday night and I am THIS tired? Certainly it was no 10 mile run that gave me this feeling, just what seems like 36 hours of non-stop activity.

Family Fun Night was a big success. I spent much of Friday volunteering at the school getting things ready. It was fun to get a sneak preview of all the auction items. Unfortunately, the event was moved indoors due to weather which made for very crowded and warm quarters. Gracie, who tends to dislike crowds, was ready to leave early on, but stuck it out for Matthew, who was having a much better time. The kids enjoyed the inflatables and other games. No surprise, Matthew was especially fond of the basketball shoot out!

Despite the fact that Bassam referred to evening as "another shakedown for money," other than dinner, we were able to get out there only buying cotton candy, which incidentally was as big as Matthew's head! We put a couple bids on some silent auction items, but since we left before the event was over, I don't know if we won them.

This morning came and the weather was gray and wet. Again. Still. Thankfully soccer went on as scheduled. Yay! Gracie played at 9 and I was excited to get to coach her field. She did awesome--scoring at least 6 goals. We also got 4 of the other girls on our field to score, too! Our socks and shoes were soaked when the game was done, but we all had smiles on our face. From there we headed over to Matthew's game at 10:15, which meant we had to sit around with wet feet a bit longer (or in Matthew's case, he had to play in them). He really worked hard -- I was proud. He even scored his first goal of the season -- and the the coolest part was it wasn't super star soccer skills (which admittedly are pretty limited in Matthew's case!) that allowed him to get it. In a mass of feet near the goal, he noticed the goalie of the other team had his legs open and he shot the ball between them. GOAL!! As Matthew told me later, "I just used my brain!"

The highlight of this afternoon was my band concert. Yeah, I really said that. The Williamson County Band participated in Nashville's Free Day of Music. At 5:00 we took the stage at the Schermerhorn Symphony Center and played a 45 minute set. Beautiful hall, amazing acoustics and an appreciative crowd. Community band should always be that good. To our credit, we played pretty well, too.

While it's a been a fun weekend so far, I look around at my untidy house and piles of laundry and wish that I had been able to accomplish something on that front.

Well, there's always Sunday . . . . .

No comments: