Saturday, February 26, 2011

Basketball and cell phone irritation

 Today marked Matthew's LAST basketball game of the season. Sad for it to end, but it gives us two free Saturdays before soccer games start, so there is a silver lining. Matthew had a terrific game. Solid defense and he took more shots from the field. He was at the free throw line four times. I managed to get pictures of  three of them . . . and I gotta tell you, the kids has unusual form! Still, he was glad to score in the last game!



As the coach handed out trophies he had a special accolade for each of the boys.   He named Matthew, "Defensive Player of the Year."   Matthew was so proud . . . and so were we!   Especially today since he spent more than a quarter guarding a kid who was a full head taller than him and probably 20 pounds heavier (and he didn't score once on Matty's watch!).

After lunch we stopped by the Verizon store to have them take look at my cell phone which has been shutting itself often A LOT lately.  Usually after I send texts, but it's not unusual for me to grab it out of my bag and find that it's turned off.   I mean, it's all good to have a cell phone so that the school or whoever can reach you in an emergency, but if the phone is off (and you don't know it), it ceases to be helpful.

But I digress . . . .

Mr. 22-year-old-Verizon-store- employee was less than helpful.    After determining I didn't have insurance and there wasn't really anything they could do to fix it (because have no idea why it's happening), he shared these little nuggets of insights . . .

1.   "You know, you can come back in a little over a month, April 1st, and you'll be eligible for an upgrade. Here's my card.  I'd love to help you out."

2.  "Would you be interested in a new charger or case for your phone?"  Ummm . . . for this phone that isn't working right?  Sure!

3.  "We can activate an old phone you have laying around the house in the meantime."  When I mention we donate our phones to victim service organziations or the Phones for Soliders programs he says, "Wow, I bet you're sorry you did that!"   Umm . . . no actually I'm not.

Despite this, the rest of the day was good.  Bassam took the kids to see Gnomeo and Juliet and I did some major (and much needed) house cleaning.  Beer at Warren's and now Bassam is cheffng up some wings!  


No comments: