Saturday, July 9, 2011

Tales from Illinois . . . .

Tonight, we are all back under one roof.   The kids have entertained us with non-stop stories about their Illinois adventures (some of which make more sense than others).   I love that they had such a great time and got to do so many fun things.   In just 5 days they managed to make trips to the Adler Planetarium, Field Museum, DuPage Children's Museum, Morton Arboretum, MagiQuest, Broookfield Zoo and Enchanted Castle, plus took in the DG July 4th parade and multiple trips to the park.   My kids are worn out --so I can only  imagine how my parents are feeling.  Safe to say, all four of them will probably sleep well tonight (and hopefully past 6 am tomorrow!).

I unpacked their bags as soon as we got home (my attempt to ensure the clean rooms stay that way) and had two observations:

1.  My mom is awesome and sent home all of their clothes, minus the PJs they wore last night, CLEAN!!    Whoo hoo!
2.  I don't think my kids missed a single gift shop the whole week.   Seriously.  They could practically open their own souvenir shop with all the loot they brought home. 

Other things I learned . . . .

Matthew would like to be a contestant on Wheel of Fortune when he grows up. Apparently GG and Gus "watch it every night" and he thinks it's awesome.    Before he left, he told me he wanted to go to Harvard.  Now he wants to be on the Wheel?!   Pat and Vanna, what have you done to my son? 

My kids conned GG and Gus in to thinking I let them chew gum.    I am surprised, because they aren't usually easily tricked, plus I have documented my no-gum policy here on this blog.  And as I look back to that entry, I realize I didn't even mention my big fear of gum in the hair.    I had to get a couple of unfortunately "haircuts" due to that very problem, and don't wish it for my kids either.   Since they  successfully chewed gum (read:  they didn't swallow it) in Illinois and are enamored with Aunt Amy's huge bubble blowing talent, they are gunning for more gum.   Truth be told, I don't actually have a problem with the occasional piece of gum, but just in case a swallowed piece of gum does stay in your stomach for 7 years, we're not going to make a habit of it. 

Finally, Gracie's slow poke habits at the kitchen table seem to be a home -specific problem.    Apparently she gulped down her milk lickety-split every morning at my parents and pretty much ate everything she was served.  While I am very pleased by that (because we have stressed the importance of good manners at other people's houses, especially during meals), I'm really hoping (but not particularly hopeful) that it will carry over to home.   I guess I'll know tomorrow when I pour her a glass of milk, right? 

Thank you, Mom and Dad, for giving the kids such an amazing week! 

1 comment:

Mom said...

Difficult as it may be to believe, they did miss some gift shops. We did limit gum, and there was ABSOLUTELY no gum before bed. We didn't just fall off the turnip truck.