Yesterday, we had our new windows installed at the house. Minus a couple small bath windows that don't open and the large foyer window, we replaced all of them. As most of ours leaked, many of them were difficult (if not impossible) to open and they were all hard to clean, this was a very good, albeit expensive, thing.
Unfortunately, buying windows is much like buying new tires for your car. Both are costly but you don't get that "doesn't-that-look-better?" feeling that you might get from having your painting a room, redecorating, having your car detailed or adding spinners to your wheels (if that's your thing--it's not mine, but to each their own!).
What else I learned from Window Fest 2011 is that new windows does not necessarily mean clean windows. The four installers hand prints are all over my multi-thousand dollar investment. And conveniently you can't clean them until 24 hours after the caulk dries and they are long gone. Harumph!
And guess what? Our blinds were inset to the side our old windows. But the new windows are closer to flush with the molding, so our old blinds may be on their way out.
See normally I would celebrate here and start my push for plantation shutters (love!), but after dropping a load of cash on windows, I can't help but be anxious about this unexpected expense. Especially since we have a boatload of windows. On the other hand, I am sitting in my office at 9:30 at night accutely aware that if someone were in front of our house, they could look right in at me (the office windows only had blinds and a valance--those windows with panels at least offer some privacy since we can pull them closed --even if they are unlined). Soooo thankful we live on a small cul-de-sac. Alas, B sees the writing on the walls and called a neighbor for a blinds/shutter referral.
The other thing I learned from the window experience is that my house is dusty and not as clean as I might have thought. Something about having rooms full of bright, natural light really expose a room for what it is. . . . finger prints on doors and walls, dusty baseboards, etc. I also decided I really dislike the color of Gracie's room. Fixing that last one may have to wait, but in the meantime me and the Mr Clean magic erasers have some work to do.
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment