Sunday, August 7, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY and musings from the reunion . . . .

First and foremost, happy birthday to this guy!

Yeah, it's Bassam's birthday and he is 39 today.  And really, he's 39.   He's not one of those people who refuses to turn 40.    At least I don't think so.  Check in with me a year from now and we'll know for sure.

I flew back in to Nashville this morning after a whirlwind trip to Illinois for my 20th high school reunion.   A smaller crowd gathered for this one, but we really did have a great time.    The gathering was held aboard the Spirit of Chicago and we got to enjoy the Saturday night fireworks in Chicago. 

Bassam and the kids stayed behind in Tennessee while I flew up and and then headed to the reunion with Heather and Beth, who were also going solo.  Actually, it seemed like a decent amount of our classmates came sans spouse.    Between the timing right before school (at least for who has moved South of Illinois), the cost of travel  and the reunion, and the boredom I'm sure some husbands and wives feel if they aren't from the same school . . . . it's probably not surprising it was the case. 

On the whole, the class of 1991 is looking good.   The consensus was that the girls mostly looked the same (if not better, of course!  Ha ha!), where the guys had changed more.   Hair (or lack thereof) played a big part in that opinion, I think.   I was especially thrilled to see my old friends Shweta, who I have known since the 5th grade (but hadn't seen since I was pregnant with Matthew!) and Karl, who I have known since 2nd grade and we were in youth group together at church. 

Safe to say, I was far from well-rested this morning when we left for the airport at 7 am.   But was glad to be back in Nashville to be with my kids for this last weekend before school starts and Bassam's birthday!

By the way, my right ear won't pop--despite having been off the airplane for 5 hours.    I've tried drinking, chewing gum, Sudafed, blowing my nose---all to no avail.   Suggestions?

1 comment:

erin said...

Glad the reunion was nice... Sorry I missed it.