Friday, March 16, 2012

Basketball, tacos and leprechauns

Is it a busy end to the week or a busy kick off to a busy weekend? 

Doesn't much matter.  It was another day of fabulously warm weather.  Another day to avoid laundry (although I did sneak a load in yesterday).   And of course, another day of MARCH MADNESS!

The day started out at school as I was the classroom volunteer in Gracie's room.  The kids were wound up and I almost felt bad for my second reason for being there. 

After centers the kids were off to PE and a few other moms, Gracie's teacher and I were ready to make a secret leprechaun attack while the kids were gone.  The teacher had already sprinkled glitter about and we left gifts of cupcakes, stickers, green Gatorade and my contribution, a St. Patty's day snack mix.   

I had originally intended to make St. Patrick's Day popcorn. Yes, it's green.   Gross in your mind and mine, but the intended audience was 5 and 6 year olds so green is okay.    I made a trial batch (thank goodness!) on Wednesday evening and decided it was just too sticky.   Future orthodontic issues may be unavoidable, but cavities are!  So, last night I made up a snack mix of  Lucky Charms cereal, pretzels, green M&Ms, green jelly bellies and a chocolate gold coin and put them in cello bags with green ribbon.   I was feeling pretty pleased with it until I saw the Leprechaun Trail Mix my pal Mindy had whipped up.

If she wasn't such a good friend I'm fairly certain I would resent her non-stop creativity and baking prowess.   But alas, she is as good as gold. 

After we finished up at school, I rolled downtown to the Vandy bookstore to pick up a SEC Championship shirt for Bassam.  Am I a good wife or what?  

As I was pulling on to campus, B called me to say he had wrapped up at work early and asked if I wanted to join him at the tournament before the kids got home.   Lucky for me, I was just a few minutes away, so decided it was officially a "play hooky" kind of day.

 Nashville has 2nd and 3rd round games for the tournament this year.   Even though Vandy is placing elsewhere,  we thought it would be fun to get a pair of tickets as there would be Friday/Sunday games.  We saw the Texas vs Cincy and then I had to head back to B'wood to meet the bus.    On our way to the parking garage, there was a radio station on Broadway handing out these fabulously huge foam hats shaped like tacos.  They were doing a cross promotion with Taco Bell and their new tacos with a Doritos shell. 

I.  Must.  Have.  One.  

The hat, not the taco.

But of course,  I couldn't come home with one.  

At which point, I forced sweetly asked my husband if he would go get one, too.   They had handed out the last one, so it actually meant asking the gal distributing them if she could come up with one more.    Luckily, she did.  And I had the two happiest kids in Tennessee. 

It really is the little things, isn't it?


And did I mention, Bassam looks really good in the taco hat, too? 

Tonight, B and Matthew went back to the arena and saw Michigan get upset.  Matthew apparently spent a portion of the evening being grumpy about Mizzou getting knocked out since he had picked them to make it all they way to the championship game.

They don't call it March Madness for nothing. 

As for Gracie and I, after eating with M & B at a new Mediterranean place in Nashville (hardly worth mentioning--it probably won't make it.), we did a little shopping at Nordstorm and then came home and painted toenails and watched "What's New, Scooby Doo."     

Those meddling kids and their dog . . . .

2 comments:

Mom said...

B does look good in the taco! Didn't know Matthew was that into the Madness. Brackets yet.

Kris said...

"into" the madness?

Obsessed would be a better word.