It seemed as though Gracie might whiz past this phase without so much a blink of an eye. She's not really a doll person, after all. Stuffed animals? That's another story. She has never met one that she doesn't love (although none more precious that Baa Baa).
But she has started talking about American Girl dolls.
Sure, they're beautiful (as dolls go, anyway), but they are wickedly expensive, as is every accessory and piece of clothing--each sold separately, of course.
Christmas is 5 months away, so that's plenty of time to either change her mind or for me to come to terms that with the fact that you can spend over $100 on a doll.
So just for kicks, I decided to explore the American Girl website tonight. I'd always heard that the cool thing about AG dolls is that you could get one that looks like your little girl. But I'm here to tell you, there isn't a doll that looks like Gracie. Does it look enough like her? Maybe. But I was surprised that the only red hair choices were strawberry blonde or auburn. Neither of which describes G. Then add the combination of brown eyes and no freckles and this is the only choice.
If you clicked on the link, you know she is noted to be an "Award Winner." Thank goodness. I hate to think that we might be considering some random "runner up" doll.
I thought this doll, Emily, might have a slightly better hair color, but the eyes are blue. Boo.
Really, should dolls be this complex?


1 comment:
First of all, that picture could make me WEEP, she is SOOO cute! I miss my kids being that age sometimes with all the adorableness that goes with it.
Secondly, we avoided AG for many years for the same reasons. Having said that, one can purchase gift cards in any amount, and if you can get up to the store even once for tea, it is truly a great little girl/mommy memory. (Great gift idea for grandparents, relatives, etc instead of some useless plastic junk that I end up tripping over) I guess I would rather spend $ there than in various other retail places.
My girls went through the phase for a couple of years, now onto other pre-teen stuff, but the dolls (they each just have one, and they each saved/spent their own money on them) still have a special place in their hearts.
Post a Comment