Friday, August 2, 2013

Crazy and sad end to the week . . .

Even though the start of school is still a week away, I feel like we got our first taste of the craziness that the school year holds.  The teachers had their first official day back and the PTO served up a pancake breakfast to say "welcome back!" 

For me and my crew, it meant being up at school at  7 am.  

Ugh.

It's not like I'm not up at that hour.  I am.

Up, dressed with make up on?  Not so much.

However, we managed to pull it together and it was great fun.   The kids refilled juice glasses and cleared tables and caught up with their old teachers.  A lot of new faces at Kenrose this year.  

A lot. 

We won't find out until Tuesday who the kids teacher will be.   Matthew's 2nd grade teacher moved to 4th grade this year and I discretely asked her if she had him.   She didn't, which will be a huge bummer for Matt who loved her.  But I've heard great things about the new teachers who are on board, so I'm confident the kids will do fine.

But I can't lie.  I want to know as badly as they do.

In other, and much sadder news.  My sister Amy lost a dear friend this morning.  Sharon and her husband, Joe, live in my sister's apartment complex and as far as I know, befriended Amy shortly after she moved in.   Sharon was a feisty and funny lady who was a bridesmaid at Amy's wedding, although I remember her telling me as we prepared to walk down the aisle, "I think I'm too old for this bridesmaid crap.   It's good thing I love Amy so much!" 

Yesterday, I tried to explain to the kids that Sharon was in hospice.  Safe to say, that conversation didn't go very smoothly. They love Sharon and Joe and decided they wanted to make their own video e-card for Sharon.   We sent it yesterday afternoon and Amy played it for them last night.  She said Sharon wasn't able to see it, but she knows that she heard it, which somehow made the kids take the news of her passing a little easier.

And before you ask, the shaky-handed videographer is moi!

No comments: