Sunday, January 12, 2014

Poetry and basketball

Where did the weekend go?

I'm looking at my weekend to-do list and there are 5 things crossed off.  Not bad, except for the fact that there are another 9 that I didn't get around to.  

I really need to move past this theme of "things I didn't get done" here.  Let's be honest, it doesn't make for an interesting read.   Probably because it's EVERYONE'S reality, not just mine. 

So I'll focus on some joys of the weekend.   Matthew had a basketball game and the Duck Commanders won 36-15!  In the world of youth basketball, this is an unusual score (for reference, the  score in game before us was 19-17 and they had to go in to TRIPLE OVER TIME to break the 17-17 tie!)  Matthew took 4 shots, but just couldn't get them in.  He had 4 rebounds and a steal, so all was not lost.   The Commodores were not so lucky, losing to Kentucky.   Don't get me wrong, it was expected.  And the fact that we only lost by 9 was actually a pretty sweet silver lining.   However, since Vandy just lost their football coach to Penn State, a hoops win over Kentucky would have been pretty amazing.  Alas, it was not meant to be . . .

While Bassam, Matthew and a pal went to the game, Gracie and I went to the Brentwood Woman's Club Poetry Awards ceremony.    Gracie won first place for her poem called "Lost in Books."  Matthew got second place in division for his poem.  So proud of both of them!   Plus, they won CASH!  Seriously?  How awesome is that?  Gracie walked out with a $100 bill in her pocket!  Matthew won $50.    Since I usually have $2.53 in my wallet, there is a good chance I will be borrowing money from them in the next few weeks. 

We rounded off the weekend with church, lots of time playing outside, riding bikes and making s'mores in our porch fireplace.   And in the end, those things were much more fun than the 9 things remaining on the to-do list!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I always have that to-do list thing hanging over my head. I've decided to celebrate the "what I got done that never even made it to the list" more often in 2014! Still, nothing quite as satisfying as those little check marks ;) Enjoy your week and congrats to your parents! One more trip up here for you, maybe??

Kris said...

I love the idea of celebrating what I got done, Mindy. And definitely more trips . . . . whether D&J are there or not! Promise!