Saturday, March 8, 2014

Saturday, shorts and the end of a season

The kids woke up this morning and asked what we were doing today and I looked at them and said, "I don't know."

And they stared at me in disbelief. 

No games.  No parties.  No Vanderbilt sports.   No call for Bassam.

Part of the reason for the free day was that the Duck Commanders lost their game last night.  We made it to the third round of the playoffs, but didn't advance to the championship game.  The boys were so disappointed.   They played really tough Friday night, but it wasn't enough. A stop at Steak 'n Shake helped afterward lessened the pain for Matthew, but I could tell he was still bummed when he got up.

The kids and I made a run to Kohls for shorts this morning.  I generally go buy stuff for them (especially Matthew who still doesn't care about clothes at all!), they try it on and I return what doesn't work.  But my schedule is a little crazy next week, so I didn't want to play the return game.  I chose the store I  thought would most likely have decent luck for both of them and off we went.   I asked them to both give me an hour...we loaded up the cart with shorts and swimsuits and then had a marathon session in the fitting room.  

I thank God for putting whoever started putting those adjustable waist things in kids' pants on earth.   Summer tends to be easier for us as you don't have to worry about length with shorts, but there was still a lot of pulling those bands and buttoning them tighter.

I need those in my pants.  Seriously.

Matthew fared much better than Gracie (unusual!) but since she can do dresses and skirts in place of shorts, her needs are slightly less urgent with good weather and spring break almost upon us.

Bassam and Matt hit the golf course in the afternoon and Gracie and I actually scooted in to Nashville for a visit to Nordstrom so I could try on some shorts I had seen online.    Just to be clear, I dread shorts seasons.  It's not even the extra pounds that I'm carrying that makes me feel that way.   My thighs are heavy and even at my fittest, finding shorts that I like and fit well is a challenge.    The fact that I am the pastiest person in the state of Tennessee makes trying them on at the end of winter especially brutal.  A lot of the stores are packed with short-shorts and quite frankly I'm not sure anyone over the age of 40 should be sporting them, no matter how great of shape they are in.   I found a couple pairs that weren't terribly offensive and then let Gracie drag me downstairs to kids shoes where she scored a pair of pink converse and an invitation to participate in the Nordstrom spring fashion show.   I suspect it was the sassy strut she displayed while testing out new shoes that led to the latter, but we had to say no as we won't be around that day. 

The day wrapped up on a fun note as my parents came to stay with Gracie (Matthew was at a sleepover) so Bassam and I could go to dinner and an annual St. Patrick's Day bash that a fellow KES couple throw.

While it wasn't a typical Saturday, a day filled with sunshine, warm temperatures and almost nowhere to be is something I could get used to!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I am with you on the shorty shorts...I'm amazed at how difficult it is to find something between "Daisy Dukes" and capris.

That said, I tried on a pair of my shorts from last year as I know it's probably going from 30 degrees to shorts weather a little sooner that I anticipate. Not happy with the results due to my extra poundage!