Saturday, March 22, 2014

You stay classy, San Diego!

We are home from our Spring Break getaway in beautiful San Diego, California!  

We rolled in to Nashvegas around 2 pm this afternoon.  Since then, I've done 4 loads of laundry, downloaded 400 pictures and tried to keep the house from looking like the tornado ran through it, leaving souvenirs  and other whatnot strewn in it's path.

It hasn't been easy.

It was the first trip to San Diego for all of us.  I don't know about you, but a place that gets 12 inches of rain  A YEAR and boasts sunny days and temperatures in the mid 70's is my kinda place.  And hello . . .I have never been to a beach where you weren't dealing with the issues of crazy humidity and the toil it takes on your hair (girls, you know what I'm talking about!).

We had four full days in Cali and didn't waste a moment. We hit the San Diego Zoo, the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier, LEGOLAND, Old Town, the San Diego Zoo Safari, and SeaWorld.  We dipped our toes in the Pacific (water is too cold to swim, but the hotel pool was a lovely 78 degrees!), we ate seafood and lots of Mexican!

Our traveling was seamless, we even got to pre-board because of my knee brace.   I was able to sit in the front row both ways, which gave some extra leg room.  And you know you can stream free TV on your phone or iPad on Southwest courtesy of DISH these days?   Sure, I'll be getting emails from DISH until the end of the time, but I watched 2 hours of Long Island Medium on the way to California which was a nice distraction from the dude who sat across from me and coughed, snorted snot and grunted for the entire 4 hours. 

And let's be honest, that Long Island Medium pulls at the heartstrings.  I'm not gonna lie. . . . I teared up several times. 

Speaking of the knee (which I was prior to the digression on the guy with the mucous issues and reality shows about mediums), I managed pretty well, although there was definitely no down time, which is what my orthopedist said I really needed. According to my FitBit, we walked between 7-9 miles each day . . .and who knew San Diego was so hilly?  Not me!   Admittedly, nights were not super restful. We stayed in a Sheraton, which while they had very comfy beds and pillows, the beds were noisy. I guess it was the bedding, but anytime anyone turned over, it sure made a whole lot of noise.  Plus, both kids are sleep-talkers/yellers/singers, which makes for some interesting (and entertaining) middle-of-the-night wake up calls.

Moral of the story?  We need a condo or a suite.   The single hotel room thing isn't cutting it, at least not for more than a night or two.
Lack of sleep and sore knees aside, this was an amazing trip.  We all had a ball and made so many great memories as a family. 

2 comments:

Mindy said...

You lucky thing, you! I adore Sand Diego and would love to live there if it weren't for earthquakes and cost of living issues ;)

And you are correct about the hotel/sleeping thing. We can't even do a normal hotel room for A night! Everybody needs their space!

Kris said...

So true, Mindy. Very expensive to live there!! I can handle earthquakes (I think), but part of the reason we're in TN (as opposed to farther south or on the coast) is because I don't do hurricanes!