Spring has finally sprung (which undoubtedly means summer will arrive in Nashville in 2 weeks), so I've been picking up a bit of warm-weather clothing when I've been out and about. I must say, that I was surprised to see a blast from a past among the myriad of jeans, denim skirts and shorts.
Overalls. For grown ups. Specifically, for women.
And I'm not talking about shopping at the Farm and Fleet! I'm talking about normal stores. . . and even high end stores. Case in point this $168 pair from Free People. I love distressed denim (much to the chagrin of my husband), but really . . . this is nuts!
Free People was not alone. Nordstrom had a couple options for around $100. Macy's had some for $65. Forever 21 had them in their windows, too. Although somehow it didn't bother me as much there because they are known for carrying trendy, one-season clothes. Plus, they were less than $30.
But $30 is no reason to jump in. Overalls are probably not flattering on 99% of the women in the world.
Don't get me wrong, this trend has come and gone several times since I was a teenager. I remember a point in early high school longing for a pair of Guess overalls that many of the girls were wearing. It never occurred to me that they were unflattering or that they looked like farmers (not that there is anything wrong with farmers!). It may have something to do with the fact that those same girls wore them "tight rolled" at the ankles with flats and big hair. Very un-farmer like.
While I missed out on the late 80's overalls trend, somewhere around 1997, I came in possession of a pair of cream corduroy overalls. They were slightly oversized and I WORE THEM TO WORK (albeit I was a residence hall director at the time, there was hardly a dress code) with a fitted black shirt and black shoes. What on earth was I thinking?!!?? It was a small, liberal arts school that had lots of artsy students, but I'm fairly certain I didn't look artsy.
I don't know what happened to those, but around 2001 I had a pair of denim ones. Clearly, some people never learn! Once again, they were slightly oversized, but I remember wearing them with a black turtleneck to a basketball game at the college I worked at and one of the Public Safety officers asked when I was due.
Oh no he did not.
Granted I was probably 20 pounds heavier than I am today, but it was not located in my belly. Being tall, you have a slight advantage of stretching those extra pounds a bit. But pregnant?!?
Regardless, it's safe to say I did not wear those overalls again. And I went about the business of losing close to 30 pounds.
But just to show I still hadn't learned my lesson, overalls, specifically "capri-alls" came back in to style in Spring 2004 and found their way in to my closet once again. The Gap said they were cute and I believed them. Thankfully, there are no pictures of the capri-alls in question, but it was probably a good thing when the strap accidentally got caught in the dryer door and twisted so badly that it tore.
In the end, there are a lot of people who look super cute in overalls. And most of them are about this age . . .
But for those of us over 4 . . . and especially those of us closer to 40 . . . .we should probably just pass.
Wednesday, April 9, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
So with you on this...can't believe they are back!
However, at work today we were discussing the merits of stirrup pants - remember those?!?!?
Not all bad, at least they stayed tucked inside one's boots!
The worst part is, Mindy, I don't think we wore them with boots. We wore them with Keds and who knows what else!
The worst part is, Mindy, I don't think we wore them with boots. We wore them with Keds and who knows what else!
Post a Comment