Saturday, October 10, 2015

Pumpkins!

One of my favorite parts of October is the annual visit to the pumpkin patch.  There are several in our area, so the first sunny weekend of October, we usually pop out to one of them and enjoy an hour or two of exploring the corn maze, outdoor play for the kids, a hayride and of course, picking pumpkins. 

Well, that beautiful Saturday came today and I decided I wanted pumpkins for my front porch.  But Bassam was working and my now-getting-older kids weren't super enthusiastic for a long outing as there were football games and plans with friends, so we jumped in the car and drove to a farm near my parents house "just to buy pumpkins." 

Sure, we could buy them at Home Depot or Publix.  But I believe strongly in supporting local farms and  Mom and Pops.  Besides, the pumpkin patch was a tradition.

I dropped the kids at the area near the front with the already picked pumpkins.   While they started shopping, I began the long drive to the back of the farm to park the van.  It was crowded with SUVs and minivans full of kids decked out in orange and other cute fall outfits and parents with cameras slung over their arms walked towards the activity area.  They all looked so optimistic for the fun they were going to have and the beautiful pictures they were going to take.  

And they might.  Or they might spend half of their time telling their kids to "sit still," "look over here," or "smile."  Then over at the hay bale maze, they'll remind their oldest to, "stay with your sister."

No matter what happens, the memories of those days are sweet.  I miss them.  

As we prepared to load the car, I realized that whether this was an "outing to the pumpkin patch" or merely a Saturday errand to pick up pumpkins, I needed to have a picture.  I dug out my iPhone from the bottom of my purse and told them to say, "Cheese!"
The oldest only rolled his eyes a little. 

No comments: