Friday, August 5, 2016

First Day of School!

It's the first week of August, so while my Midwestern friends and East coast friends are off on summer vacation, we're back at school.

August 5th, y'all.  #whathappenedtosummer   

However, as I consoled my children, "It's only a half day."

Matthew is now a 7th grader, which seems a whole lot older than a 6th grader.  Sort of like waking up at 4 am is waaaaaay earlier than waking up at 5 am.  Something happens in those 60 minutes, because it's a whole lot longer than an hour.   Just ask the dark circles under my eyes.

Although he tried to avoid it, I managed to get a quick back to school photo before he left this morning.  I tried to snap a couple, but he had already started walking out of the frame.  #actionshot

He came home reporting his "social studies teacher is sooooo mean. "   I met her. She has a 2 year old and an infant.  Girlfriend is just tired.   I reminded him that strict is not bad and that if he follows directions and does his work he will do just fine.  #adviceforlife

Back at the elementary school, this little nugget started 5th grade today.  I made her look decidedly uncool by asking her to pose for a picture in front of the school.  I remembered a photo I snapped on the first day of kindergarten and wanted to have a side-by-side comparison.  #mamasaid
Oh my.

Gracie just got off the bus and was full of stories.  She got a teacher who is very good, but considered tough and no-nonsense. As Gracie has coasted through the grade school with nary a worksheet for homework most nights, I think this will be good preparation for middle school.    Matthew had this same teacher for math and science when he was a 5th grader and liked her, so I suspect Gracie will do just fine.   Plus she wound up with a couple of her besties in her class, so that will make things easier, I'm sure!

Here's to a great year!

No comments: