Sunday, September 11, 2016

reluctant blogger or just a busy one?

It's funny that I always think summer is when I get behind on blogging.  Truth is, this fall (which is what we call anything after the point where school starts, even thought it's been in the mid 90s practically ever day) I'm having an even harder time keep up.

This past week, we enjoyed the 4 day week, although it felt just as busy come Tuesday, because it was 5 days of school work crammed in 4 days.   

Still, we survived the week, so when Friday rolled around I helped host a breakfast for the bus drivers at Gracie's school (I'll do Matt's school on Wednesday), had a PTO meeting and then packed up the car to get Gracie and I (along with another baton friend and her mom) to Memphis for our first baton competition.  

The competition was at the Delta Fair.  It's a smaller competition with less than 40 twirlers.   Over the course of 5 1/2 hours, Gracie performed her show twirl once, marched 3 times, walked for "best appearing" twice and did her solo 4 times.   For the majority of the time, she was only competing against other 10-12 year olds in the novice division. The exception were the components for the Miss Delta Fair competition, which was one march, one walk and one solo.  For that, she competed against all 10-12 year olds, some of whom were incredibly talented and part of the 2 levels above hers.  

Despite our novice status, she managed to score 1st place in the open competition for best appearing and strut (marching). She won 2nd place for her show twirl, earned 3rd for her solo in the Hall of Fame division, 5th in the Miss Twirltacular best appearing and 8th overall for the Miss Delta Fair. 

Maybe. I can't keep them straight.   All I know is the kid came home with 5 trophies and a medal. 
Her pal Emily won one of the 1st place trophies that you can see in the background of this picture. 
I know the redhead was feeling a little jealous about that, but she was super gracious with her friend.  Emily is a year older and had done competition before, so hopefully it will give Gracie something to work towards.
This was the costume Gracie wore for "Best Appearing."  It was loaned to us by G's friend, Faith, who is a dancer extraordinaire! So grateful to have something beautiful borrow (and it got great comments by the judges!).  We saw some amazing costumes at the competition . . . lots of bling and fringe.  If I had more talent (and patience) with a needle and thread, I'd try my hand at making costumes.  People drop hundreds of dollars on them. 

Back at the ranch, Matt had his second flag football game.  Unfortunately, it was a second loss for the Cowboys.  Matt started as quarterback, but was pulled after throwing two interceptions. Ouch.  Luckily, when he went back in the game he caught a short pass and ran the rest of the length of the field to score his first touchdown of the season!  Go Matt!  

Afterward, Bassam, Matt and his pal, Parker went down to the Vandy game.  They saw most of the first half, but then they had a delay in game due to crazy storms. The delay ended up going 1hr and 45 minutes, so they headed home to eat pizza and watch it on TV.  They also found we had lost some huge limbs from the tree in front of our house.    Hence, we're spending part of Sunday with the chainsaw. 
Next week I'll have to call a tree trimmer out because we have one more big limb that broke off and is still perched up among the branches and a few others that are hanging too close to the house.  

So that's our weekend in a nutshell. I'm off to a band concert in about an hour, Gracie is going to Youth Group (her first one!) and Matt has big plans to sit on the couch and watch football. 

No comments: