Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Not just another Wednesday . . .

Today was a busy day. 

And a big day.

And for Charlie, an unpleasant one.

Before noon I had already made a trip to the high school, the vet, the DMV, the emissions testing station, a stop at work, back to the DMV, home, dropped Gracie at a friend's house, Home Depot, and then back to the high school. 

Matt went to high school orientation.  HIGH SCHOOL, y'all!  I'm usually ready for this kind of thing.  But I've recently whipped myself into a bit of a panic, albeit a very quiet panic.  No need to worry the boy.

While Matt was off learning the ins, outs, rules and layout of the high school, Gracie and I made our first trip to the DMV.  It was driver's license renewal time and according to the Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security I needed a new picture.

Oh joy. 

The DMV did not disappoint.   There was not a single open parking spot in the lot.   And better yet, the lot dead ends, so all of the non-spot-finding customers were awkwardly turning around in the lot, blocking the way for people who were waiting for the lady who gets in her car and sits for 7 minutes before finally pulling out. 

Come on, people.

I finally gave up and illegally parked at a high ropes course lot nearby and hoofed it over to the DMV.   My luck turned as the nice man at the information desk informed me I could use the express kiosk because my old picture still "pretty much looked like me."  It didn't keep me from getting a new, awkward picture, but apparently at a quick glance, he recognized the old photo as me and gave me a pass. 

After the DMV, it was on to the emission testing station.  While the Brentwood station is known for having no-wait (I was literally in and out in less than 4 minutes last year), I was closer to Franklin, so went there.   I mistakenly got in the line with the chatty technician.  And for every one car he tested, the other lane got through three. 

I do this at the grocery store, too. 

Midway through my next couple errands, I realized I forgot to pick up the Rules of the Road book (I think it has another name, but that's what we called it back in the day!) for Matt who turns 15 in just a couple weeks.  Gotta pass the test to get the permit.  And gotta study to pass the test.

Back to the DMV.   And no surprise, still nowhere to park.

I greeted my old friend at the information desk who pointed to a large stack of books near the door.  HOW DID I MISS THEM THE FIRST TIME?!??   He told me to tell Matt to study from the book only, because all the information online was "not theirs" (meaning Tennessee, I assume).   I wanted to ask "Whose information is it?"  But really, I wanted to get out of the DMV more, so I took my book and walked back over to the lot of the ropes course. 

While all this was happening, Charlie was at the vet for "the works."   He got his annual check up, blood work drawn, rabies shot, anal gland drained (EWWWW!) and a haircut.   I felt like such a mean dog mama putting him through this all at once, but he came out looking fantastic.   I took him to Sonic to reward his good behavior with a little soft serve.

Matt joined in the Sonic celebration, having survived the first morning of high school orientation.  He was not overly impressed with the activities or all of the kids in his homeroom, but he survived and agreed that he was glad he went.   Tomorrow he gets his schedule (although it may or may not be what his schedule ends up being on the first day of school) and locker assignment, too.  He asked to hang around for a bit afterward so he could see where all his classrooms were and maybe figure out when he could go to his locker.  I was SUPER HAPPY that he thought of it, but totally played it cool and just said, "If you want."

I have three weeks to get ready to be a high school mom.

No comments: