Monday, August 20, 2012

I miss summer.

I miss summer.

Yes, I know that technically summer is not over.  But school is back in session, so we have said goodbye to the "lazy, hazy days of summer."

Admittedly, very few of our days were "lazy."

I miss being able to plan a stop on the ice cream tour stop whenever I want.  There's a couple more places we want to hit.  I know we'll do it before Labor Day, but I have no idea when, especially since one is a mobile truck (No, not the ice cream man!  Think slightly more chic!) with a somewhat irregular schedule.

I miss afternoons at the pool.  In theory, I could go myself, but why?  And  anyone who knows me knows that I don't just put on bathing suits for kicks.  For my kids, yes.  For the Cayman Islands, fine.  But for solo pool trips?  Not so much.

I miss long weekly trips to the library with the kids.   It's not that we won't still go to the library, but the visits will be shorter and wedged in between homework and bedtime or birthday parties and football games.  

With school in session, I  feel an urge to start pulling out my fall clothes.   I've grown tired of the tank tops and sundresses in my closet.  Sadly, jeans, sweater and boots are easily 2 months off, possibly longer. It doesn't even matter that all those items are stored in my guest room which is currently serving as storage for 90% of what was in my kitchen.  

I stopped at JoAnn's last week and got ribbons and other fall do-dads to update my front door wreath.   It seems odd to do it when it's still 85 degrees out and the only leaves on the ground have fallen as a result of the drought doing a number on trees and bushes.  It seems the bag of feathers, acorns and autumn leaves may have to wait a little longer. 

But it could be worse.  I was in Costco today and they had already devoted a couple aisles to Christmas.

REALLY!??

Anyone else ready for a change in the seasons?

No comments: