Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Warning: Whiny post ahead

Today was a waste of make up and a long, aggravating day to boot.

This statement might lead one to say, "Why bother with make up then?"

Well, first of all, I'm not at all cute with a naked face.   It's a fact.    My family and boot camp friends see it regularly.   The latter are just as rough looking at 4:45 am, so they don't judge.   And if my family does, they're doing it quietly.  

Second, the reason I put on make up is because I fully intended to leave my house today and there's no better way to ensure you'll run in to everyone you know then to go out looking like death warmed over. 

But it didn't seem to matter today, because I didn't leave my house.  Because guess what came back?   That's right, the big hole in my front house.

Yes, door installation part deux was today.    Interestingly, I was originally told it was going to be yesterday, so it didn't just kill my Tuesday, Monday got screwed up as well. 

The door dudes rolled in at 10 am.  Different installers than last time (because I would have had to wait another week to get that team back) and I had high hopes for a quick and seamless installation.

Hope springs eternal, no? 

They removed the old door, installed the new, took the new door back out again because it still didn't fit right, discussed with me options for how they could fix it (at which point I cried because they all SUCKED!), then did some alterations right in my driveway and tried again (the tears may have lead to this!).  And this time. . . .guess what?  It fit.  And it didn't bang in to my dining room doorway either!  Hallelujah.  So they adjusted and adjusted and adjusted some more until they got it where they wanted it.   Then they went about the process of cutting holes to install the hardware. 

This all sounds like it went very quickly, but trust me, it didn't. 

By the time they wrapped up today, 7 hours had passed (plus the 2 I spent waiting for them to arrive this morning).   They only finished installing one of my two doors (the storm door is still in the garage), there is still caulking to be done and holes to fill.  As for me, my attempts to get anything done at the house were in vain, because when they weren't drilling, they were pounding so doing anything that required thought or concentration wasn't going to happen.   Plus Ronda (the woman who designed our kitchen/dining remodel--also helped me choose the doors), came by to see how it was going  and ended up staying for almost 4 hours.   No complaints there, though, she's a bulldog and kept everyone on their toes. 

So they have to come back.   Not tomorrow, of course.  They have another job.   They're aiming for Friday, which would be lovely except it is going to be freezing with a 90% chance of rain/snow.   My back up date is "sometime next week."    Safe to say that isn't  super helpful information to give to the painter, who thus far has only primed the doors and framework and needs to come back when it is over 50 degrees to paint. 

Okay, whiny post concluded.

I'm going to go remove what's left of my "wasted" makeup and hit the sack.  Tomorrow is another day.

And it's gotta be better than today.



No comments: