For the last 10 days, Matthew has been talking about his need for a haircut. Usually, this announcement comes at very inopportune times, like bedtime, during church, etc. Not much I can do about it. And of course, when I can do something about it, I forget.
Bad mom. It doesn't help that Matt has been slammed with homework the last couple weeks and the weekends have been jam packed. And that haircuts are an easy thing to put off.
This coming from the girl who last night looked in the mirror at her tangly, shaggy mop and wondered if she might make it in a 80's band,
But that's a post for another day.
I finally had the good sense to schedule Matthew an appointment at the barber shop across the parking lot from Gracie's gymnastics place while she was in class today. Although he often works on his homework or reads while we wait, this would certainly be a better use for the time.
When the barber called him over, I stayed seated in the waiting area. I heard her ask him how he wanted his hair cut and she glanced over at me. I smiled, but stayed in my chair as Matthew talked about his hair, at times swooping his hands around his head.
This, y'all, is a big deal. Not just because his first tear-filled trip to the barber looked like this . . .
. . . but also because Matthew's evaluation of a good haircut is how long afterwards he can go without combing his hair. He's definitely a "wash 'n wear" kind of kid.
At least we hope he's washing it.
When she was finished, she called me over and asked if it was short enough. Trying to encourage his independence and pride in his appearance (no matter how short lived it is), I looked at Matt and asked him if he liked it. He said yes and then ASKED IF SHE WOULD PUT SOME PRODUCT IN HIS HAIR!
We've come a long way . . .
Monday, November 10, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment