Serial is a podcast that explored a true crime story over 12 episodes. They broke down a 1999 murder case in Baltimore, it's investigation and the ultimate conviction of a high school student named Adnan Syed.
I heard about the podcast at a party in November and thought it sounded interesting, but never looked in to it further. Then over the next month, it managed to come up in conversation with three or four other friends who were also listening to it. What was I missing out on? By the time I downloaded the first episode, the Serial podcasts had wrapped up, so I was able to "binge listen" the entire series. Really, that's the way to do it. No waiting a week between episodes! I finished the last episode on Friday and although it was unsatisfying in that there are no real answers, I really enjoyed it and have my fingers crossed that another season will follow.
I had a thing for "old time radio" shows as a kid . . . .especially the mysteries like Ellery Queen, Suspense and CBS Radio Mystery Theater. I know . . . not your typical hobby for kids. But I think that's why this podcast series was so interesting to me, except it didn't wrap up in 30 minutes. Since it was apparently ranked as the number one podcast on iTunes for weeks, I clearly wasn't alone.
If you like a suspense/crime books, you just might find this interesting. Plus, it's "a thing," and who doesn't want to be up on the latest thing . . . at least every once in a while!
And being free doesn't hurt, either!

No comments:
Post a Comment