Our day started early with Matt's last regular season basketball game. For reasons that are not entirely clear, we played way out in Fairview, which although in our county, was a good 50 minutes away. The kids got a nice win (only our second of the season) and truly looked like they were HAVING FUN! We beat the other team by 25, but since we've been in their shoes, the families of our team were equally supportive of every basket their team made. Matt scored two baskets, so he was especially happy. So proud of how hard he has worked this year.
The kids were excited about their Valentines from us, GG and Gus and Aunt Dana. Bassam gave me a super cute bracelet and earlier in the week gave me flowers, although I'm not entirely sure those were for Valentine's Day as much as they were reminding me that I was loved amidst a very, very bad few days (see post dated February 11th). Since Bassam is avoiding sweets, I gave him an assortment of freshly made beef jerky from our local butcher. I felt compelled to tell him this wasn't a "sweets for the sweet" kind of thing, because of course, I don't think he's a jerk (or jerky, as the case may be!).
Gracie was off to birthday party for her pal, Anna, at the skating rink later in the day and Matthew got a visit from the sweet classmate he went to see yesterday who brought HIM a Valentine, plus this super awesome Vanderbilt hat.
Needless to say, he loves it. And for Mom, it was cute watching their super-awkward exchange! Such a sweet girl that my son has chosen for his first crush!
Bassam cheffed up a yummy dinner of salmon and made-from-scratch chocolate cupcakes. And now, with happy, full tummies, we've settled in for an evening of basketball (Matt), a movie (Gracie), beer at the neighbors (Bassam) and laundry (me). I don't feel at all cheated that we're not spending the last hour and half of Valentine's Day together. It's been a good day together and we all need to unwind in our own way.
Although admittedly, I may have gotten the short end of the stick.


No comments:
Post a Comment