Friday, February 13, 2015

Valentines!

So today was all kinds of crazy with an emergency trip to the vet with Charlie (he has a slipped disc), battling both Ticketmaster and TPAC to get tickets for shows we want to see this spring and summer, last minute preparations for the class Valentine's parties, accepting and checking the book fair delivery and then actually attending the class Valentine parties.   But by far my favorite part of the day was driving a very nervous Matthew over to a classmate's house after school so he could deliver a special valentine that he had gotten for her.
Matt told me a couple weeks ago that he wanted to get something for Parker and I took him to Target where he walked up and down the Valentines aisles multiple times before finally deciding on "the perfect gift," a heart shaped tin that looked like football with mini Reese's Peanut Butter cups inside.

Parker plays football with the boys at recess, so really it wasn't just a matter of it being something that he liked.   Plus he reported she eats PB&J, so "she must like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. "

Who doesn't?

Anyway,  I saw the girl's mom at the party today and gave her a heads up that Matt wanted to bring something over later, as he didn't want to embarrass her or himself.   We mused about how sweet this was at age 5th grade, but weren't sure we weren't anxious for it to happen in high school. 

So around 4:00, a very nervous Matt walked up to their front door (Mom was instructed to wait in the car, hence how I took this the non-sanctioned photograph above) and delivered his gift. She opened it up while he was there and as he turned to leave, she came out and gave him an awkward side hug (I had thrown my phone on the seat so he didn't see I had taken a picture and missed the hug shot!!).  

When I got home there was a text on my phone from her mom that said, "Oh my gosh--I am literally trying to hold back the tears right now! Just watching that nervous little exchange and how sweet Matt was.  PRECIOUS!  P was nervous, too.  She really did like it.  Smiling from ear to ear.  Thank you for bringing him over & for having such a SWEET kid." 

As for Matt, he reported, "That was the hardest thing EVER.  I don't think I'll ever blush that much again!"

No comments: