Wednesday, May 10, 2017

More "lasts" . . .

Yesterday, Gracie attended her last school Skate Party.   Because of her baton schedule, we haven't actually attended one in over a year and a half (there is usually one a month).  But baton was bumped up to right after school, so she wanted to go to this one with some friends because it was their "last one."

And y'all, as I snapped a picture of Gracie and her pals, this "last" put a lump in my throat.   Last Family Fun Night . . . ummmm.....no.  But this seemed a little bittersweet.

Then there was today.  Today marked my last PTO Executive Board meeting at the elementary school.  As both our principal and teacher rep are retiring this year, it was a decidedly strange meeting.   I looked around the table, thankful for the friendships, remembering good times, bumpy times and everything in between.

At the end of April I was given the Shining Apple Volunteer Award (basically the top volunteer) for Gracie's school.  There was a lovely ceremony with the superintendent, school board members and all the winners, county-wide.  It was a true honor. And while I wasn't at all emotional at that event, when the principal spoke about it and my contributions over the last 8 years to the board today, I felt that lump in my throat again.  

This school has been such a huge part of our lives.   Some of my dearest friends are people I've met there.   It hasn't always been smooth sailing, but on the whole, I couldn't have asked for a better school community to be a part of.

There's that lump again . . .


No comments: