It's early Sunday morning. . . .the washing machine is churning away, Say Yes to the Dress reruns are playing on the TV, and the dog is sitting at my feet. Actually, he is sitting ON my feet.
Back to reality.
We're not usually "spring breakers," but this year decided to head to Cancun to enjoy some much needed relaxation and sunshine after a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad 3rd quarter.
Seriously, y'all. It is time for this school year to be OVER!
19 years ago, Bassam and I went to the Moon Palace in Cancun for our honeymoon. It was destroyed some years later by Hurricane Wilma. But they rebuilt and added additional properties. This time we stayed one of the newer properties, albeit right down the beach, at the Moon Palace Grand.
Needless to say it did not disappoint. The weather was perfect, the service was fantastic and the food was delicious. And we ate a LOT of it. While Bassam and I wanted to do an excursion to some of the ruins, the kids had their heart set on doing nothing.
Zero. Zilch. Nada.
So instead we swam in all but one of the 9 pools (one was adults only). Went to the beach and laid in hammocks. Spent lots of time playing in the water park. Drank at the swim up bars. Read books in lounge chairs under umbrellas.
When it as time to eat, there were a million choices. We did breakfast at the same main buffet every day. Lunch was at whatever restaurant was close to the pool we happened to be at. But dinner . . . dinner was very different every night. We ate at a delicious Mexican restaurant the first tonight. The next was at an Italian place, followed by a Lebanese restaaurant and then a steakhouse. On the last night, we hopped a golf cart to the next Palace resort over and ate at their Mexican restaurant which we had heard amazing things about. None of them disappointed!
Turns out, we're pretty good at doing nothing. Plus Gracie and I read three books and Matt and Bassam finished two.
I arrived in Mexico with a miserable cold. The first couple days were rough. Then on Thursday evening, it became clear Matt had managed to catch it. Poor kid. I felt bad for him, especially knowing how uncomfortable I was flying down feeling that way. But he popped the cold meds I had packed and plowed through the end of the vacation.
We each carried our own small suitcase and thankfully travel and customs was a breeze. We were super happy to get home and all sleep in our own beds last night. Having become big fans of Airbnbs over last couple years, I must admit, sharing a single hotel room for the four of us is a little bit harder than it used to be. Even though the room was lovely and they brought in a rollaway bed, we all definitely missed having our "own space."
But you know what? As much as being served and pampered is awesome, there's no place like home. So bring on the laundry and grocery shopping, I guess!
Sunday, March 24, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment