Saturday, January 28, 2012

Vandy Saturday

Saturday has been crazy and it's hard to believe, it's not over yet.

Gracie and I arrived at Vanderbilt this morning at 7:30 am.   Yes, 7:30 am on A SATURDAY!!!!

Now it's not like I would otherwise be sleeping at 7:30 on Saturday, but I probably wouldn't be up, dressed, packed for the day and in downtown Nashville.   

But I was today.

Gracie participated in the "Be Healthy, Just Cheer" event for Girl Scouts of Middle Tennessee.   The Scouts (Daisies through Juniors)  went to Vanderbilt today for a dance clinic and will perform tomorrow at halftime of the women's basketball game versus LSU.   A friend of mine (the mom of a girl who Gracie used to do ballet with) is now the coach of the Vandy dance team who was running the clinic.   Needless to say, she made sure Gracie had a front row spot.   Because we were going to the Vandy men's game afterwards, Gracie was decked out in her Vanderbilt cheer outfit and was ready for action.  Her pal Alex and another preschool friend were also there, which was icing on the cake!. 

After the clinic, we met up with Bassam and Matthew at new hot dog place in Nashville called Cori's DogHouse.  It's pretty good and they make a decent Chicago dog (along with a zillion other choices--pretty impressive), except they serve their all their dogs on a grilled bread.  I'm not completely sold on that, but I ate the whole thing, so clearly it wasn't bad!

After lunch we were off to the men's basketball game at Vanderbilt.  We were playing MTSU who was 20-2, so I'll admit, I was a little worried going in.    But I think we brought a good luck charm with us.


Matthew got to be the "Tip Off Kid" before the game.  This basically entails getting the ball and taking it to the referees right before tip off.   And of course, being on the scoreboard while you do it.   Do you think Matthew was excited about that? 

Oh yeah!

Being the tip off kid is usually reserved for the kids of big donors.   Probably REALLY BIG donors.  Trust me when I tell you, we are not.   That is, unless that counts repaying medical school loans.

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Lucky for us, Uncle Wad knows a few people in the right places and was able to make it happen for Matthew.  He has been trying all season, but as you can imagine, it's not easy.  We are so grateful to him, because it was truly the best surprise for Matthew, who found out this morning.  

Not to be left out of the action, Gracie also got to go down to the court when my friend Mandy invited Gracie to join the dance team towards the end of the second half when they throw t-shirts out to the crowd during a time out.   Then two of the girls on the team let Gracie borrow a pom pom and she got to do a little cheer with them.    She apparently made it on to the scoreboard, too, although I didn't see it, as I was just too busy enjoying watch her jump around and clap off beat!  

We are home for a little bit and are supposed to head off to a basketball game at Lipscomb University which is hosting an adoption fundraiser for some friends of ours.   We're all pretty tired (and Matthew battling a cold), but hopefully we'll still make it. 

No comments: