Friday, November 29, 2013

From Nashville to Chicago and back again . . . .

The kids and I are back at home after a wonderful, adventure-filled week in Illinois.   Bassam had to miss this trip as he worked all week and is on call the entire Thanksgiving weekend.  Poor guy.  I think we had been in the house exactly 30 minutes tonight before he had to get in the car and go back to work.

Luckily he made back in time to chef up some yummy salmon for dinner.  I'm not going to lie, I wasn't much in the mood for cooking, but was even the less in the mood for going out.   8 hours in the car kind of takes it out of you.

Which is precisely why I would never make it as a truck driver, cab driver or the driver of the Google maps car.

I was almost tempted to get in the car after checking my email and seeing that everything at the Gap was 50% off for Black Friday, but instead I sat on the couch with the iPad and ordered online.  

Life is good.

Here's a quick recap of adventures our adventures in Chicago . . . . .

We arrived on Sunday night.  We ate dinner and I think I went to sleep shortly thereafter.  Exhausted. See comments above about careers I will not be pursuing.

On Monday morning we were up early and drove downtown with the masses.  However, while they headed to work, we had something more fun on the agenda.   My mom, Gracie and I went to American Girl on Michigan Avenue.  Despite thinking we were "One and done" with dolls, it's really the only thing Gracie wants for Christmas,so I caved and she picked out Kit Kittredge doll.    And maybe a few other things.
Two and through!    That's it!

We also enjoyed a delicious and froofy lunch in the American Girl dining room.  I've said it before, these people don't miss a trick.  Everything is beautiful and no detail is overlooked!
 
While I was emptying my wallet, my dad and Matthew headed over to the Adler Planetarium.  No pictures of that outing but Matthew tells me it was an awesome "guys' day" and I think he rather enjoyed choosing what they would see and when.   The Planetarium's cafeteria is the best of all the museums (think Panini's made to order instead of cafeteria hamburgers!) and the dining room is windows all around overlooking Lake Michigan.

Monday night I was able to catch up with my high school pals at Betsy's house.  Good wine, good friends and yummy lasagna.  What could be better? 

On Tuesday we were off to LEGOLAND in Schaumburg.  The kids had been a couple times before, but I was a newbie!  Wow!  It does not disappoint.  Despite there being scads of buses of kids visiting on a field trip (Seriously!??!   I'm fairly certain I NEVER went on a field trip like that!), we were easily able to see and do everything we wanted!   That place is impressive--and I'm fairly certain, also a gold mine!
When we returned from our daily adventures, the kids got really in to playing cards.  They aren't quite the card shark I was at that age playing euchre, rummy  and 500 with my cousins and grandparents, but there were some ultra competitive games of go-fish and crazy 8's. 
On Wednesday, Gus, the kids and I gave GG some Thanksgiving-prep time and took the kids to Bass Pro Shop for some fun in their holiday kids area.   Not only did they have fun with the guns, bows and arrows and remote control cards and monster trucks (nothing says Christmas like that, right?!?), but we bought a Christmas present for Bassam while we were there.   And no, it's not camouflage or a weapon of any kind!
Afterwards we went to IKEA and cruised around there for an hour or so AND had lunch.  Can't beat IKEA's Swedish meatballs!

Later on Wednesday, the kids headed out with Aunt Amy for their traditional trip to Enchanted Castle and dinner at Omega.  They apparently won thousands of tickets and came home with loads of plastic trinkets and candy, half of the former can undoubtedly be found under the seats of my car!
Thursday was Thanksgiving!   So much to be thankful this year!  My mom made a wonderful feast and we were joined by Amy, my Uncle Harry and cousins Erik and Alicia.  It was the first Thanksgiving without my Aunt Jeanine. She was definitely missed, but I'm sure she was watching down on us and smiling.

So that was my week in a nutshell. We are now home and are admittedly, happy to be back in the more temperate winter Nashville climate.   There are still bags to be unpacked,  mail to be sorted (I don't think Bassam opened anything while I was gone)  and Christmas presents to put away . . .but we'll get it all done. . . .eventually!


No comments: